"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Double Helix Triple Time
It isn't so often (I am guessing) that most people reflect on how their double-helix looks under the microscope. I would bet, most people go through life, without needing to know what their DNA represents, yet it is the very thing that makes you who you are from a molecular/genetic make-up point of view. Sure, many other factors play into how a person actually becomes who they are, but the foundation upon which we are created all depends on base pairings and possible mutations.
I realized that I have now had THREE separate genetic tests!! First, since my dear mother had breast cancer, she got tested to determine is she had the BRCA1/2 gene mutations. Her oncologist recommended that I be tested too, so a simple needle poke later my DNA was collected and sent to the labs.
Secondly, a couple years back I was finally tested for Cystic Fibrosis. After so many other speculations that I might have CF, we put that issue to rest with a "tell-all" genetic test.
Finally, this past week while we were in Bethesda, MD for our NIH visit, they determined I should have genetic testing for Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia.
At the age of 28, to be tested for genetic mutations three times, leaves me feeling like my doctors think my genetic make up is...for lack of better words, "interesting". These days, you can submit a simple saliva sample and companies are claiming that your biological fate can be determined. Oh how medicine has changed and thank goodness for that.
I am currently reading (a few books, but this one pertains to this post) a book about the "Healing Power of Tea". I find it interesting (stated in the book) that over 70% of drugs on the market (not specialty but basic drugs for common illnesses, such as heart disease, aka aspirin) are derived from natural herbs. Seventy percent!!! That is truly amazing. Chinese medicine is believed to have been around for over 5000 years. The fact that it is still practiced alone or often in conjunction with Western based medicine, simply means one thing, it works. In my quest for "alternative" therapies for the symptoms I have, I've found a couple people with Cystic Fibrosis, who do not take any conventional Western Medicine. THAT, blows my mind. I am definitely not that extreme and my interest for alternative therapies is still in it's developmental stages. I do believe that Western medicines such as high potency antibiotics, prednisone and pulmozyme (a mucolytic), are crucial to the survival and maintenance for someone like myself. One can not take away from the black and white results of those medications. I do however worry about the long-term effects of some of these medications. Kidney issues, bone deterioration...these are very serious issues and one has to be concerned about them. My belief is that unless I truly need them, I hold off (not my day to day meds, but medicines for when Im sick and not feeling my best).
I have many friends that have benefited from things like acupuncture, which I have never tried but would like to. In fact, my husband has tried acupuncture for allergies when he was younger, and he found GREAT relief and very rarely suffers from allergies these days. My point in all of this is that it is good to capture the entire picture. When I worked in the hospital setting, I would have patients that were taking 15-20pills just in the MORNING, and more throughout the day. I counted once, and one very sweet lady, was taking 58 pills a day. How, can that provide ANY medical benefit??? In fact, I would have to give her medicine to help with the side effects of other medicines. It was simply out of control. I believe when you have to start treating side effects, with other medications, you are on WAY too many medications. Of course there are exceptions, but in general. Some of the oldest patients I have had over the years, were taking the fewest medications. Those that were taking handfuls of meds, seemed to have SO MANY ailments, side effects, problems....this is, purely an observation.
For now, sipping tea while reading about the healing effects of tea and maintaining my current medication regimen, is working. As I become more educated, I might venture out of my comfort zone and try something new, something relatively harmless in Traditional Chinese Medication. Cheers, to a hot cup of tea!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment