"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

~Franklin D. Roosevelt







Sunday, February 19, 2017

My Sweet Barbie Girl.

Coffee dates with her were always so fun

As I write this, tears well up in my eyes, and my heart feels like it's being split in two.  Today was a day I knew was coming, and I tried to prepare for, but it stung and still stings.  Today, my sweet friend Barbie, my PCD pal and transplant buddy here in Houston, took her last breath and passed.  Surrounded by family and friends, she knew she was loved and she passed in peace without any pain.  We told her how much we loved her, how strong of a fight she put up, and that it was okay to fall asleep.  Many tears were shed with relationships from all different walks of life in the room with her.  When I arrived this morning, her beautiful blue eyes opened wide, and she knew I, along with everyone else in the room were with her, comforting her on her last few hours on Earth.



Right after transplant
Barbie and I had a very special bond.  One that I don't get to share with many people.  We met about 2 years ago, but it felt like we have known each other a lifetime.  She and I knew what it was like to go through each day struggling to breathe, what it feels like to be sick, everyday of your life.  Barbie waited 9 months for her transplant, and tomorrow would have been her 10 month anniversary with her new lungs.  I wish so much that she could have experienced more time with her precious new lungs.  At one point after transplant, she had over 100% lung function.  Thanks to her donor, and her donor's family, she DID experience a life, free of PCD-ridden lungs. She enjoyed life without oxygen, nebulizers and discomfort from poor lungs, and now she is ultimately free of any pain and suffering.  While I am comforted by knowing these things, it doesn't take away the hurt of losing a close friend, or the fear of what might happen on my own transplant journey.


5 months post transplant
Meeting Mama Fish
Last night, the most amazing thing happened.  Bob and I were helping to take care of Barbie and Dan's (her husband) dogs and cat, so that he could stay at the hospital with her.  It's about a 45 minute drive from the hospital, and on the way back home, I look out my window, and right next to us what do I see???  A bright pink, Volkswagen beetle, with the words "Barbie" written in white all over it!!! I literally could not believe my eyes.  It was a "Barbie car", and I've never, ever seen anything like that on the road.  Of all times, last night, it's right next to us.  I took it as a sign that Barbie would soon be free, out being her spunky self, enjoying life and quite possibly enjoying her own Barbie car.


I will miss you sweet friend, you were such a blessing to me and Bob.  We have a forever friend in you and Dan, and I know you will be our guardian angel, looking down on us as we move through life, and our own transplant ups and downs.  Rest in peace my girl, I love you...


Breathe Easy my sweet Barbie, you're now free to swim with the dolphins as you wished. 

No comments:

Post a Comment