"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."

~Franklin D. Roosevelt







Sunday, May 14, 2017

A Mother's Day to Remember

As I wake up and think about the significance of today, which happens to be Mother's Day, a weird feeling overcomes me. I am happy because I got to celebrate Mother's Day with my Mom, out shopping and just hanging out.  I will be celebrating Mother's Day with my Mother In Law today who is in town from Minnesota, and that makes me happy....but then, a sadness overcomes me as I remember or recognize that I now have someone else's Mom to consider.  My donor's Mother.  I don't know anything about this woman, or if she and her son had a relationship, but I do know that if she were involved in her son's life, today might be especially hard for her.  Hard because he son's life was cut way too short, and I know she would probably have loved to celebrate even one more Mother's Day's with her son.

To my donor's mother, I am so very sorry for your loss. I am sure you miss your son everyday, but especially on days like today.  I'll have you know that despite us knowing absolutely nothing about each other, you and your son hold a special spot in my heart that no one else can occupy.  I will try my best to honor you and your son and cherish these new lungs he so graciously gave me upon his passing.  I continue to wake up everyday and I have to pinch myself that it's real, I have had a transplant.  I quickly remember as I don't have to rush to get a breathing treatment in just to start my day.  I don't have the hum, or rather the, loud roar, of "R2D2" as my husband calls it, of the bedside oxygen concentrator all night.  I am not waking up with "oxygen lines" on my face!  I've gained so many hours back during my day from not needing breathing treatments every 2-4 hours.

So, as you sit down today with your Mom's, realize how special it really is to BE with your Mom on day's like today.  Also realize there are many Mom's out there who might be hurting on this Mother's Day, because they've lost a child.  And there are plenty of others who wished they could be Mom's but for one reason or another they can't.  Mom's come in all shapes, forms, sizes and we want to recognize and appreciate each and every one of you.

I'd like to wish my Mom and my Mother in Law,  a Happy Mother's Day.  I was lucky enough to already have an amazing Mom, and then I gained another wonderful mother, upon marrying into Bob's family. And finally, I want to wish my donor's mother a happy Mother's Day.  While your son may not be there with you, he is living on through me and I am wishing you the most comforting Mother's Day wishes I can.  I hope one day to meet you, and I hope you can hear/see your son living on through me as I try to make him proud!!  Happy Mother's Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment